Thursday, October 30, 2014

Femme Fatal

It's the week of Halloween, and while I have my work costume picked out ( Mary Poppins ), I've picked a second costume for the night out on the town with friends.  This time, the total opposite of sweet Mary Poppins.  I chose, Avengers' Black Widow (a strong independent woman who don't need no man and looks good doing it).

One of the perks of this costume?  Not only do you look like a smokin' femme fatale, but it's actually WARM, unlike a lot of other costumes. It's the best of both worlds really.  Plus, you can wear the pieces you buy over and over or you can use what you have in your closet (I know I'm not the only one with a closet that has a lot of black).  Because who doesn't want to save a buck and avoid frostbite at the same time?

Here's what you'll need:
  • Black leggings/jeggings 
  • Black boots (mine are knee-high with a heel, but in the movie she's wearing something closer to a combat boot--it's your call depending on where you're going to be)
  • 2 belts (one to go around your waist--also gives you Black Widow's awesome hourglass figure, hooray!  And another that you can sling around your hips--I this SWAT belt belt from Amazon, which is also perfect if you're going out, plenty of places to put your phone, money, etc so you don't even need a purse!)
  • Toy gun (I got mine at a dollar store and spray painted it black)
  • Fingerless gloves (I used a pair of old lacrosse gloves and spray painted them black)
  • S.H.I.E.L.D. patch (a small foam circle that I drew on with Sharpie)
  • Black Widow's belt buckle (I DIY'ed one with some foam)
  • Red hair spray or red wig






The belt:

  • Sheet of thick black foam
  • Sheet of thin red foam
1.  To avoid having to redo this multiple times, I made templates for each piece out of paper first and then traced on to the foam (measure twice, cut once as my eighth grade tech teacher used to tell us).  I made the bigger template first according to how big I wanted it simple by making an hourglass shape.
2.  Hot glue the smaller red hourglass on the bigger black hourglass, then hot glue two safety pins on the back and voila!  A Black Widow belt buckle in less than five minutes.

The S.H.I.E.L.D. patch:

  • Sheet of gray foam
  • black, fine-tip Sharpie
I literally cut a small circle from the foam (maybe an inch or so in diameter, its up to you) and then copied the SHIELD logo onto the circle.  And the last step?  Hot glue a safety pin to the back.  Done.


And now you're ready to kick some alien butt (or at least look good pretending).

Happy Halloween Eve y'all!!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment