Sunday, January 11, 2015

Weekend Recap

This is my first weekend recap, and while this weekend wasn't jam packed with craziness, it was just what I needed!  My boyfriend lives and works a couple of hours away during the week now, so when he comes back on the weekends we usually like to keep things low-key and relaxed.  One of our favorite things to do is to pick a different restaurant each weekend to try (this is great if you're trying to expand your culinary palette).  This weekend however, we opted for something a little more hands on and went to the bowling alley with friends.

Bowling is low-key, but also competitive and lots of fun--drinks and a few games with friends, you can't go wrong! Admittedly I'm not very good at bowling (my boyfriend however, is really good, like multiple strikes in a row good), but I was having so much fun spending time with my boyfriend and our friends that I didn't mind (although I did get a few strikes during the night, so I wasn't so bad)!


My Michael Kors Selma satchel is in one word: perfect.  It's nice and roomy on the inside without being obnoxiously big (and it comes with a strap so it's easy to wear on your shoulder).  I can fit my wallet, tablet, mini emergency bags (stay tuned for the DIY post), a water, and some snacks (always keep a little something, like a granola bar or two just in case!), without my bag being overstuffed.

This jacket was a Marshall's find (Steve Madden--How awesome is the lace?!) // My riding boots were a Christmas gift from my parents a few years ago, but they're still in great shape!  // And my Michael Kors bag was my Christmas gift from my boyfriend and easily my favorite accessory.

As low-key as our night out was (jeans and a nice tee kind of a night), I decided to do my hair.  I usually leave my hair the way it is naturally, and then do something with bobby pins or put it up in a braid or bun; but Friday night I decided to be spontaneous and use my curling wand.  My girl friends know how I feel about wanding my hair on my own.  I would much rather have someone do it to be honest because I'm simply too impatient to sit there and do it (major props to the girls who curl their hair everyday!).

I did however buy a wand a couple of weeks ago at Marshalls (they have the greatest finds!) and I wanted to try it out (and the big curls really dressed up my casual outfit).  But like I said, I'm not very good at curling my own hair.


My hair is naturally wavy if I let it air-dry...until I brush it out.  If I want to keep my waves I usually just brush through my hair with my fingers, spray with some hair spray and then I'm on my way.  But if I brush it through with a hairbrush if gets a little poofy.

It only took me ten minutes to do one side of my head.  Seems like a long time, but for me its a personal best!
Look at those bouncy curls!

In total it took me twenty minutes (I'd also like to note that I have a lot of hair, so any time I do my hair in general it takes a while), so I do need to practice (a lot, lol).  I am fortunate enough to know people who happen to be ridiculously good at curling their hair (and they both happen to be named Sam) and are alway willing to share advice.  One of the Sams works at a salon and even has her own youtube channel.  Check out her wanding tutorial; it's super easy to follow, and it helped me learn how to curl my hair quicker (confession: last time I curled my hair it took me like an hour...lol).



And as my cousin Sam would say when you've finished, "spray and shake"; a little hairspray and a gently shake of the head makes for nice full curls that'll last for days!


I hope you everyone had a good weekend!  And if you're like me, good luck with your curling!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment