Monday, February 23, 2015

Pearls, on pearls, on gold

Nothing beats a fresh manicure to start off your week!

Classy girls wear pearls...sometimes even on their fingertips!  Today I combined two of my favorite things into one polished (pun intended!) mani: pearls and half moon nail art.  I used a soft gold polish with pearl nail studs on top; it's classic but fun at the same time.


Here's what you'll need:
  • base coat
  • top coat
  • nail color
  • nail studs--pearls
  • nail glue
  • tweezers




1.  You want to start with a clean slate.  Cut, file, and shape your nails, and then wash your hands to get any dust off.  (And I always double check for any nail breakage or cracking--you don't want your nails breaking after you just spent all that time making them look pretty--fix any of that before you start painting your nails.)


2.  Base coat.  I always use Sally Hansen's 'Miracle nail thickener'.  It gives your nails a nice layer of protection and I really believe it's helped strengthen my nails (they certainly don't break as easy as they used to and they don't feel brittle).  Wait a good five to ten minutes for the coat to dry.  I'm extremely cautious when I do any kind of nail art (you don't want to get impatient and then ruin your manicure).


3.  Stickers.  I use binder paper reinforcements (I got a pack of 200 from Staples for about $3).  One reinforcement at the bottom of each nail (at the cuticle end), and gently press to make sure there aren't any gaps (you want to avoid any nail color leaking under the sticker).  The way I place the stickers is with the top inside of the sticker just above the cuticle line.



4.  Color.  Two coats of whichever color you choose (I'm using Nicole by OPI 'On A Gilt Trip').  Let the first coat dry completely before applying the second coat.  Once both coats are completely dry, carefully remove the stickers.



5.  Pearls.  Right on the top of the half moon, place a dab of nail glue.  Then, using either a wax pencil or a pair of tweezers pick up the pearl (for this manicure I prefer the tweezers because the pearls are a bit slippery and the tweezers have a better grasp and make placement easier) and place directly on top of glue dot.  I waited a few seconds and then using the tweezers, gently press down on the pearl to make sure it stays firmly in place.


6.  Using the nail glue, I cover the pearl and it's sides for extra hold (did I mention I'm super cautious about my nail art? lol).  Immediately after, I apply my top coat.  This allows me to smooth the glue out so that it dries nice and neat (without any lumps or bumps).

7.  Let dry, and voila!  Subtle, yet classy half-moon manicure!  :)



Here are some of my past Manicure Monday manis:

What A Stud!!  //  Good As Gold  //  Star Studded  //  Tape It  //  Stellar Manicure  //  

No comments:

Post a Comment